The Law Society of Ontario has issued an update on the 2021-2022 Toronto Articling Recruitment procedures. For more information visit the LSO's website.
* This information is only valid in regards to the Toronto 2021-2022 recruitment. The recruitment by law firms and the Government offices in Ottawa and by law firms and Government offices located outside of Toronto is already closed for the 2021-2022 licensing cycle. Applications will resume next year for the 2022-2023 cycle. The Toronto Articling recruitment is a formal recruitment usually used by larger Toronto firms and government offices to recruit Articling students. Please be aware that there will still be other positions that will come up throughout the licensing year and not necessarily through viDesktop.
Applications will be collected by employers via viLawPortal starting on Monday, August 10.
It is important to constantly check the website to ensure no new positions have been added. While the applications become available on August 10 it is important to be aware that positions are gradually posted on the website and new positions can be posted up to the deadline.
It is also important to be aware that once the documents have been sent to a position, the Firm is able to review it at any time. No changes can be made once the Firm has reviewed the application, therefore it is important to only submit the documents once the Candidate has all documents required. The LSO has established that the date of receipt shall not be a factor in considering whether or not an interview will be granted.
The documents required depend on the Firm. Usually the following documents are required: Cover Letter, Resume, Law School Transcripts, 3 Letters of Recommendation, 3 Reference contacts, 5-10 pages Research paper and List of Upper-Year Courses (applicable only if you are still studying in the Fall 2020 and Winter 2021).
1) The Application's deadline is Friday, September 25, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
2) Call Day
3) Interview Week
5) ITLNCA Articling Info Session: Perfecting your Resume and Cover Letter
6) ITLNCA Articling Info Session: Learn how to do well on Interviews
NB: Relevant Blackout Periods:
- Between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 4, 2020, firms are prohibited from contacting students and students are prohibited from contacting firms.
- No recruitment activities are permitted between 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 25 and 8:00 a.m. on Friday, October 16, 2020, except for the scheduling of interviews and of any recruitment activities to be conducted during the November 2 Interview Week.
Applications through ViLawPortal from August 17, 2020 to September 16, 2020, 11:59PM PT. For more information please visit the website: https://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/becoming-a-lawyer-in-bc/admission-program/)